Silent Hill

For all your other video game related discussion and needs, this forum is where its at.

Re: Crab Fight Bug

Postby Sumanuel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:34 am

It's ironic, but though they get better graphics they turn lesser scaring and 'asmotpherical'

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm watching TV and a woman is making Pavlova
Find more details and items in the profile of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Chai » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:57 am

None will be better than first game. Downpour didn't struck me, but when I played it I can say that is much better than Homecoming or Shattered memories. I think the series was recovered with Downpour... and I like how Murphy screams XD!!

I move the posts for too much offtopic hahaha
(My first act as mod, yay!)

1 pcs.
Chai

Cash on hand: 1,480.00

Postby Sumanuel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 am

Tefa Jung wrote:I move the posts for too much offtopic hahaha

and I was involved in! haha

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Postby Caligo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 am

Tefa Jung wrote:None will be better than first game. Downpour didn't struck me, but when I played it I can say that is much better than Homecoming or Shattered memories. I think the series was recovered with Downpour... and I like how Murphy screams XD!!

I move the posts for too much offtopic hahaha

Firstly, Go Tefa!!! ^_^ Thank you! You make me proud.

And glad it was better than Homecoming... I lost a bit of faith and love for silent hill with that game :< Although I do like how Shattered Memories made a psychological profile from all your actions -- that was cool.

9 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Caligo

Cash on hand: 195.00
Bank: 1,920.00

Re: Silent Hill

Postby Sumanuel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Which one would give me lesser the creeps? :? :lol:

Nah, I think I must play SH1 again

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Sumanuel wrote:It's ironic, but though they get better graphics they turn lesser scaring and 'asmotpherical'

That's because with the PS1 or lesser powerful consoles you had to make up for the lack of graphical support. Take the first Resident Evil -- the graphics and acting was halerious! but the game was freaking sacrey because it used the right music and built the right atmosphere. The static camera angles were due to the PS1's low power; however, it made us fear what we couldn't see around the corner. Even the Silent Hill fog was because the PS1 couldn't render much of the town in real time -- so the fog was so it didn't have to render what you couldn't see. However, that in itself could make the player fear the unknown dangers hiding in the fog. :D

Now, with next gen consoles...we have the power now for realistic graphics. So it seems that most game designers don't try and bother building an atmosphere anymore... there are many possabilities for this:

1. The publisher's don't want to take chances anymore, so they rehash the same old formula because it gurantees them money. Resident Evil was meant to end with the 3.5 build -- however it was rebuilt from scratch and turned into the RE4 that we know today. The foruma for this game worked and revived the franchise -- why would Capcom want to change a formula that proved itself? etc.

2. Some designers may believe that the fear that was generated in old games was because of monster and designs and quick jump scares.

If you look at most games that try to be horror based, their enemy designs try to be disgusting and bloody -- they may even include violent cut scenes involving these creatures -- but the scare factor is no longer there. To me, at least, it seems that they believe that causing the player to be disgusted will somehow make them fear the game. But I would say that they missed the mark.

Then again, maybe they've just forgotten how to recreate the old horror atmosphere.

3. The designers are trying to appeal to as many people as possible - old school horror is a niche market now and would not allow publishers to make a profit from (or even generate the budget for) a multi-million dollar old school horror game. So they have to water it down so it appeals to a wider audience.

4. They're just lazy.

There's probebly more possible reasons, but yeah, I miss the feeling of being scared while playing a game. I havent played too many of the Silent Hill games, so I can't accurately judge how much of the horror has gone from it, but it could be one of the reasons I mentioned above.

On a different note, I loved Home Coming *.* the story was enough to keep my interest.

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Cash on hand: 2,267.00

Postby Sumanuel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:02 am

Oh man, so true! Sometimes when you are most limited you boost your creativity and ideas most. Don't happen to you that 80's gore and terror movies are scarier flesher cruder than now? Idk why, but that thing about companies preffering to disgusting (see dead space) than scaring itself people is a fact! It must be because of that.

And yeah! Maybe they just think they just have to recycle their stuff now that they have secured lots of audience and money, and so they don't have the needs of effort at 100%+ of they capacity! "Bah, as long that it's resident evil(for example), they'll buy it.

I agree entirely with your point :geek:

For example, see this page http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-series

Is a ficticial stuff, and it has a game that is poorly made but it can gives you the super creeps :| and that information page they made gives a realistic and creepypastian touch to the ehole thing. You can know it's not real but it still frightens you

It's home coming an inter-sequel ?

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Postby Chai » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:42 am

Maybe it's for the uncanny valley?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Valley.svg

Despite having better grafics has less acceptance. And, the original background designer Keiichiro Toyama only worked in SH1.

1 pcs.
Chai

Cash on hand: 1,480.00

Postby Sumanuel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:26 am

Curious, isn't it? :ugeek:

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Ah, yes! uncanny valley 0.0
That is definitly another possability.
I can't view the picture you posted, Tefa. (my browser is telling that there should be an image there xD). Could you post the link to that image instead, please? :D

Sumanuel said:
"Don't happen to you that 80's gore and terror movies are scarier flesher cruder than now? Idk why, but that thing about companies preffering to disgusting (see dead space) than scaring itself people is a fact! It must be because of that."

I would say that there is deffinitly a pattern. Dead Space is a great example - I think it's a fantastic game and I love the story (especially the second game's), however it relies on quick scares; horrible deformed monsters burst out of vents suddenly, or in certain places, a loud noise happens. It makes you scared for a moment -- but it only lasts a few seconds. The atmosphere of the game doesn't maintain that fear. ^.^

I remember reading that they looked at car crash victims so they could make the enemy characters look more 'twisted' or damaged. Even though the Dead Space enemies aren't totally frightening, they are disturbing, and I think it has to do with uncanny valley like Tefa mentioned.

Since the developers used car crash victims as a reference to build the enemies, it's quite possible that our minds can recognise this 'real-life element and thus we feel uneasy when playing the game. I believe that uncanny valley is an almost universal thing - we may not be frightened of the same things - but I bet that the majority of people are disgusted by similar images. For example, I assume that most of us here would feel freaked out if we saw a person with a twisted, broken arm (like what you see on hospital TV shows). However, most of us in this forum probebly aren't frightened of crow birds.

So, to appeal to as many people as possible, developers may actually use uncanny valley to disturb us since it would be easier than creating an atmosphere that would scare everyone.

I'm not saying this is what they're doing, but it's always a possability. :D Especially with Silent Hill! After all, Silent Hill is a psychological horror game - so they may be focusing on making us experience the uncanny valley, rather than trying to create an atmosphere.

Ehe, do any of you remember the first time you played Silent Hill? 0.0 I would love to know what you found scarey about it - or what parts you liked in general.

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Cash on hand: 2,267.00

PreviousNext

Return to Video Game Chat