Primal Eyes Game Project. Audience Help Needed :D

For all your other video game related discussion and needs, this forum is where its at.

Primal Eyes Game Project. Audience Help Needed :D

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey!
In my college "interactive media course", we have to spend the entire year creating a project of our choice. With Caligo's permission (and help), I'm going to be working on a simple Flash game for the Primal Eyes arcade. The game in question is going to be a point-and-click horror game where the player uses the mouse to move to different locations and investigate areas in order to find clues and piece together the story.

Part of the research that I have to gather for this project is audience research. Basically I have to gather information on who my audience is - what they like and don't like, what they personally want in a product, and more - etc. Since the users of Primal Eyes are my target audience, could you help me by filling in a small questionnaire for me, please?
Thanks to any of you who fill it out :D it'll be a great help! Especially since the game will be designed using your own suggestions or answers as a guideline.

------------------Questionnaire--------------------------

Name (or username):
Nationality: (you don't have to answer this if you want to keep it private).

[General questions]

1. Are you a casual or serious gamer? for example, do you prefer playing simple games (like the ones on the arcade) or console games (with good graphics, story and sound, etc.)? Or do you like both?

2. What is your favorite game on the Primal Eyes arcade? why is it your favorite game? is it the simple controls? the graphics? etc. What about that game attracts you to it?

3.How long do you think it should take to complete a flash game? Please explain your answer.

4. Do you personally think a game should focus more on telling a story, or should it focus on giving the player more gameplay? or would you prefer a balance of both? Please explain your answer.

[Specific questions]

5. Do you play horror games? Can you give some examples of which games you play and what you like about it? (what do you find scary about it or what do you love about it in general?)

6. Do you watch horror films? Can you give some examples of which movies you like and what you like about it? (what do you find scary about it, or what do you love about it in general?)

7. Do you think character development is important in a horror story? what makes a good character in your opinion - should the character be relatable? mysterious? should the environment and the character be connected somehow? etc.

8. If you have played a horror game (or a game in general) with puzzles in it, what kind of puzzles do you enjoy the most? how difficult do you think puzzles should be?

9. What should a person keep in mind when making a horror game? for example, should they build a frightening atmosphere? use quick scares to catch you off guard? what would personally frighten you or make you feel uneasy?

10. Are graphics important to you when playing a game?

[Project Questions]

11. If you were designing a simple point-and-click horror game, what kind off game play would you include in it? why? For example, would you try and make the game's environments more animated and interactive? would your character use diaries or notes to reveal information about the story or game in general? would you like to see cutscenes or would you have the character's communicate using text boxes? etc.

12. What would personally convince you to play a point-and-click horror game on the Primal Eyes arcade? What should the game have in it that would make you want to pick up the game and play it?

13. If the point-and-click horror project has a file size that is too large for the arcade, would you consider downloading the full version (for free) from another web page if you enjoyed playing the demo on Primal Eyes?

14. What advice would you offer to the designer(s) of this game? Is there anything the designers should avoid so you don't get offended? Do you want to give any advice about the kind of music or sounds that should be used? Etc.
Find more details and items in the profile of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Cash on hand: 2,267.00

Re: Primal Eyes Game Project. Audience Help Needed :D

Postby Sumanuel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 am

Name (or username): Jesús Corzo
Nationality: Venezuelan (xD)
This looks fun! wanna help!

[General questions]

1. I like both, it depends on the plotline, let's say: the "soul" of the game.

2. The sonic one, because it's simple, fastly "digestive", comfy and addictive.
3.Well, IDK about making flash games but once upon a time I downloaded a flash animation maker program and I spend lots of times trying to making a single character animation but didn't make it "/. It could be from few weeks to couple months? Without involving plot creation? (Sorry for adding 2 -retoric- questions in an answer, lol.

4. Story 60% / Gameplay 40%. We talked about it in a related post. You enjoy a more asmotpheric and sentient game with decent graphics than a heavy, modern, way empty, linear kindof-arcade game. If you inmerse in game's universe, you will enjoy it. And gameplay won't be a threat. But of course, it must be comfy and interactive. As I said, like you are in another universe.

[Specific questions]

5. Yes! RE 1 - 3. SH 1. PE 1-2. Played newer instances of these games, BUT find more scary and 'attractive' elder ones, because of dingy aspects of them. Things like near to still standing characters, surprise and music drastic shifts, crude appearance of enemies, the sense of being alone and needing of survive... It makes you never want to put an eye out of it, because you feel that SOMETHING COULD HAPPEN WHENEVER.

6. Variable frequence. Chainsaw Massacre, SAW, Paranormal Activity.. I like that suspense and self-wondering sense you feel in each scene, and the scream-adrenaline explosion that happens when "main" scenes happen.

7. A character must have, always, human/sentient related charasteristics. It have to make you feel or ask yourself "What if I where him/her?" It makes you be more interested in the game. You don't really have so much to know about him/her. It's better if you find more data about him/her through the plot. Like a mix of relable/mysterious. Every head is a world, and you must be him/her's "head". it's better if enviroment is somehow connected or influenced by character or viceversa.

8. I don't enjoy puzzles :lol: but find more attractive music or art related puzzles. They could be stuff that you can resolve, not frightening riddles :shock: Hints pls. There could be other way to reach or pass puzzles, like having a hard battle instead, sth like that? maybe in some of puzzles you could have that option...

9. Frightening atmosphere, but making at time you have the feel of continue, of keeping going even with feeling uneasy! And the hope of feeling kind of "secure" with your character.

10. Not so much. Most of my favorites game are relatively old. I enjoy more the plot. Plot is a thing you can't make better or worst depending of time's flow. And the gameplay and features is important too. If you can do plenty of things, flexible things, like customize stuff or reaching to extra-zones, or having the chance of making decisions... cool!

[Project Questions]

11. Well, I would make decent graphics and concentrate most about gameplay and the things that will happen and the person that plays it will can or have to do. Yeah, gathering information! but not so much to getting asleep reading... Key stuff. And could "give" to the character at least one thing that will keep him "capable" to do his/her job.

12. Something that involves or needs the character discovering itself, like meeting his/her Hidden capabilities or characteristics. Through the game.

13. Of course! Mind making a demo-light version being in the arcade without needing of download so you try it and then download it if hungry of more

14. Make it unique pls. Think about it like you are making or expressing your own universe on it. Please show us a piece of your world, of what you have in your mind or dreams that you would like to have us in to.

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Excellant! Thank you!
This is a great start. n_n
You've given me lots of good information so far.

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Postby Caligo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 am

Sorry for taking so long Andy, but here it be!

Name (or username): Caligo
Nationality: Australian

[General questions]

1. Recreational gamer -- I play almost everyday but I'm not hardcore about completing every single little thing or playing WHENEVER I CAN.

2. Amateur Surgeon - It has a black sense of humor I find... rather humorous. It's also easy to use and fun to challenge myself with.

3. If it's an arcade like game I think as much as your talent allows. If it's a game witha plot 5-10 minutes. Enough to have your coffee break in.

4. Both. I think they both have to work in harmony. (Even if one is used more than the other.)

[Specific questions]

5. Yes: Parasite Eve, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Haunting Grounds, Alone in the Dark, Darkness. It's the challenge, the atmosphere, the characters and the universe the experience builds up.

6. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Ju-on, The Ring, Steven King movies, Guillermo DelToro movies. I like a bit of everything from movies: Atmosphere, characters, pacing, the universe, the premise etc etc etc

7. Depends if the character is key. I think if it fits right for the plot yes. They need to have a relatable flaw at least. And it needs to be the right character for the right audience. (I hate having a character I am supposed to 'relate to' seem almost like a 17 year old version of a 'mature adult')

8. I like puzzles that make me look around, or think a little. I think puzzles should be solvable in game (So you don't have to google or know advanced chemistry) but it shouldn't be immediately obvious.

9. Simple: Keep it scary, keep it horror don't treat me like I am stupid or an immature teenage wanting to be mature, don't get to complicated for the sake of coming off as 'cool' and whatever you do, pacing is key.

10. Yes. I don't need to have completely life like graphics to be impressed, but it's good to suit the theme. (ie: Not putting My Little Pony images in scary games)

[Project Questions]

11. I would put puzzles in a closed environment. Either finding things or using your smarts to get out.

12. Something fun with a nice sounding description.

13. Yes - unless it was like 100mb

14. Have fun with it :D Please just avoid trying to throw things in randomly. It doesn't offend me but it breaks the immersion realllllllllly bad.

9 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Caligo

Cash on hand: 195.00
Bank: 1,920.00

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Awesomes!
The project is going smoothly so far ^.^ I made a small test using Blender 3D, Photoshop and Flash 8 to see how the game might look when production offically starts. The look of this test is quite good in my opinion. xD

I just need a few more forum users to fill in my questionnare and then the game can begin to be offically planned. :D

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Postby Sumanuel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:31 pm

wow, looks very good! :shock:

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Steahl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Name (or username): Steahl
Nationality: American

[General questions]

1. Are you a casual or serious gamer? for example, do you prefer playing simple games (like the ones on the arcade) or console games (with good graphics, story and sound, etc.)? Or do you like both?

I actually enjoy both depending on how tired I am and if I just want my brain to relax. I am a console girl by choice, but simple games on computer are fun sometimes.

2. What is your favorite game on the Primal Eyes arcade? why is it your favorite game? is it the simple controls? the graphics? etc. What about that game attracts you to it?

I generally enjoy Sudoku because I"m an addict. Beyond that tetris style and bubble match type games are my next favorite due to the mild feeling of actually achieving something and the controls not being a monster to figure out.

3.How long do you think it should take to complete a flash game?

I think it should take as long as the plot remains interesting. For a game with an actual story driving it the time taken is negotiable. As long as the writing is good, the mystery is engaging, and the game itself isn't annoying then it can take as long as it likes.

4. Do you personally think a game should focus more on telling a story, or should it focus on giving the player more gameplay? or would you prefer a balance of both?

I am a shameless and unalloyed story addict. I have to be truly brain numb after a long day at work on no sleep to want a game with no story to tell.

[Specific questions]

5. Do you play horror games? Can you give some examples of which games you play and what you like about it? (what do you find scary about it or what do you love about it in general?)

Yes, I play horror games. PE, F.E.A.R, RE and the like. I enjoy games that make you think and that don't go for the immediate, obvious scare. Oh, gore, haven't seen that before right? Well timed, subtle plots are my favorite.

6. Do you watch horror films? Can you give some examples of which movies you like and what you like about it? (what do you find scary about it, or what do you love about it in general?)

I devour horror films. Again, I prefer the subtle plots that bring out the nonstandard things to be afraid of. Astronauts wife remains one of my favorites, the timing in Alien and Aliens is superb and there are a host of other movies (Rosewood Lane most recently) that play a good balance of thinking and fear.

7. Do you think character development is important in a horror story? what makes a good character in your opinion - should the character be relatable? mysterious? should the environment and the character be connected somehow? etc.

This question is hard to answer. The character depends rather heavily on the focus of the plot. If the hook is in getting the player/watcher to relate to the character than relatable works well. If part of the mystery is in learning who the character is then mystery is a good character trait. It depends HEAVILY on the intent of the story writer.

8. If you have played a horror game (or a game in general) with puzzles in it, what kind of puzzles do you enjoy the most? how difficult do you think puzzles should be?

I enjoy puzzles that are not clichés. Peg puzzles, two button puzzles, and slide puzzles are all very common and found everywhere, which makes them rather boring to me. Anything interesting, or new, is fine by me. I don't mind any difficulty level!

9. What should a person keep in mind when making a horror game? for example, should they build a frightening atmosphere? use quick scares to catch you off guard? what would personally frighten you or make you feel uneasy?

I feel that a good scare incorporates a modicum of realism. Something that could reasonably or logically happen. Scary noises and jump scares pale after a while and really have no replay value. Hints and shadows though? Careful, slow reveals of something immense and terrifying? That is a good way to scare me or at least get me thinking (I don't scare easily unfortunately).

To a degree. I need a game to move in a manner that is not jerky enough to make me ill. Chunky graphics tend not to move smoothly and that can be problematic for me. Actual rough designs though, and 8-bit characters do not bother me if the story is engaging enough.

[Project Questions]

11. If you were designing a simple point-and-click horror game, what kind off game play would you include in it? why? For example, would you try and make the game's environments more animated and interactive? would your character use diaries or notes to reveal information about the story or game in general? would you like to see cut scenes or would you have the character's communicate using text boxes? etc.

I like cut scenes, more I like cut scenes you can miss if you don't find the proper clues. I think a game with many layers that can be found or missed enhances the replay value of game. I also enjoy text you have to read, not necessarily in text boxes but across the top or bottom of the screen and diary entries are always fun.

12. What would personally convince you to play a point-and-click horror game on the Primal Eyes arcade? What should the game have in it that would make you want to pick up the game and play it?

Honestly I will play it if Caligo asks me to try it out for playability. I would appreciate a worthwhile story though.

13. If the point-and-click horror project has a file size that is too large for the arcade, would you consider downloading the full version (for free) from another web page if you enjoyed playing the demo on Primal Eyes?

Yes, I would, if it hooked me in the demo.

14. What advice would you offer to the designer(s) of this game? Is there anything the designers should avoid so you don't get offended? Do you want to give any advice about the kind of music or sounds that should be used? Etc.

HAVE A GOOD STORY. Horror is nothing without a story that draws a person in. Music choices are yours, and I would prefer you avoid extreme social buttons like religion or rape.

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Cash on hand: 300.00
Bank: 30,470.00

Postby Arcana » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 am

Not sure if you still need this, but....

------------------Questionnaire--------------------------

Name (or username): Ash
Nationality: British

[General questions]

Gotta be said I do like something to get my teeth into. That said I lack the time to get my teeth into games so much now so I tend to be more about quick-fix action games. Nonetheless, put me down for serious.

Infect. Evolve. Repeat. Due to premise and addictiveness.

3.How long do you think it should take to complete a flash game? Please explain your answer.
Unfair question. Depends on genre. Some games cannot be completed (tetris), while others might take a half-hour (escape the room games). Just 'cause it's flash means little in this regard.

4. Do you personally think a game should focus more on telling a story, or should it focus on giving the player more gameplay? or would you prefer a balance of both? Please explain your answer.
I much prefer stories. I like getting immersed and getting my teeth into a game.

[Specific questions]

Not generally. Or, if I do, I like to play with the gamefaq open so I can enjoy the story without it being broken up due to dying repeatedly. Which I will.

I don't bother to watch them. If I'm honest, I haven't watched one which I enjoy - I can't suspend my disbelief long enough to forget that it's only a movie. And, in any case, the acting and plotlining tend to be...well, awful.

They should develop from being alive people to being dead people. I sort of root for the bad guys, not the cookiecutter five-man band.

Not so difficult you have to reach for the strategy guide, but certainly something to make you think. Perhaps reliant on prior knowledge gained through the story, rather than puzzles clearly tacked on for the hell of it (such as the Tower of Hanoi that appears in KOTOR and others)

The reason horror films/games are scary tends to be due to the fact the characters are disempowered. Take Silent Hill as an example: Ordinary Joes and even a teenage girl are the protagonists. They realistically can't hope to fight against the evil that pursues them. And the controls and camera angle are god-awful. That's where the primary scare factor comes from. Whereas Resi and Doom 3 give you WEAPON POWAH.

Only in as much as they are functional.

[Project Questions]

11. If you were designing a simple point-and-click horror game, what kind off game play would you include in it? why? For example, would you try and make the game's environments more animated and interactive? would your character use diaries or notes to reveal information about the story or game in general? would you like to see cutscenes or would you have the character's communicate using text boxes? etc.
The more interaction in a P&C, the better. The more environments, items (useful or not), believable characters the better (see The Longest Journey). Protagonist diary should be useful for summarising points up to just in case a player is picking up where they left off.

Just link to it, I'll give it a shot. If I like how it plays, I'll play it. Dead Case has a good interface in that regard. It's easily pick-up-and-playable.

Sure, why not?

14. What advice would you offer to the designer(s) of this game? Is there anything the designers should avoid so you don't get offended? Do you want to give any advice about the kind of music or sounds that should be used? Etc.[/quote]
Just keep it relevant. No need to throw too much at it. Less is often more. :)
"We Must Dissent. Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Arcana

Cash on hand: 125.00
Bank: 3,602.00