Primal Eyes Game Update

For all your other video game related discussion and needs, this forum is where its at.

Primal Eyes Game Update

Postby Andyfer_Ruu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm

It's been a little while, so I thought I'd give an update for the flash game I'm attempting to make for the Primal Eyes Arcade (for a college project).

There's good and news and bad news.

The good news is that I've gathered almost 200 pages of research, including audience data and marketing data (the marketing potential of flash technology too), as well as the psychology of the enjoyment of horror media and the enjoyment of puzzles/challenges. It's looking like a thesis more than a college project, which is always good!

The ground work for the game is solid because of this. My findings are quite long, so I'll provide you with an extremely brief version of the research (the important findings) which act as a guideline to follow when planning and designing the game to meet with the desires of the target audience and client. Overall, the audience wanted (in combination with data collected from primal eyes):

A psychological, story driven game.

The story should include a relatable character and elements of mystery; perhaps exploring thought-provoking themes such as the afterlife or paranormal. The audience desired a story that explores mysterious or controversial themes; either to feed their curiosity about a particular theme (supernatural was the most common) or to provoke intellectual thought about the human mind, etc.

Curisotiy plays a larger role in the enjoyment of horror media, with adrenaline being less important (although all enjoyed the adrenaline rush of a scare in some form. However, it's not important to their enjoyment of that media). - Again, thought-provoking themes should be explored.

The audience wanted a tense or dark atmosphere mostly, that led up to a big scare. This includes the build up to a jump scare.

the audience wanted puzzles that weren't majorly difficult to complete - puzzles where you can reasonabhly guess what you have to do from observing the game's environment or situation. For example, mixing the right combination of chemicals together to create an acid to dissolve a lock, or balancing scales in a certain way using objects of different weight and sizes, etc.

The game should allow the player to explore various rooms in order to find keys or items to solve the puzzles, or reveal more of the story (via daries or notes, etc).

I should not explore common phobias that people hold within the game, such as arachnophobia, since most of the audience stated that it would stop them from trying the game.

Since some of the primary audience requested it (primal eyes), I should put some form of story telling animation (a cutscene) into the game. Perhaps with audio, if the memory size of the game permits.

----------

So that's the good news - the ground work has been set and has provided me with a great amount of data to use as a guideline for the development process. -me and Caligo even did some market research into games and films of the genre the audience wanted and made notes on what the audience may enjoy the most.

The bad news is that the college has shortened the hand in date for this project in order to allow other people to complete overdue assignments, etc. Instead of a June/July hand in date... my game has to be completed in 3 weeks. This isn't enough time to create a good game that provides you with an interesting storyline, stimulating puzzles and advanced elements designed to present you with a scare.

Now, I don't mind being humble and saying that I need your (users of primaleyes) help.

I still wish to create a game that you all would enjoy and I wish to stick with the horror theme/point-and-click puzzle game genre if I can (so I can still use my research). So I want to ask, what kind of horror/puzzle game would you like me to try and make for you that is quite short, but still offers you something that you'd enjoy? Please give examples if you can.

For example, would you enjoy a horror themed "try and escape the room" type game, where you have to try and figure out how to escape a room that's trying to trap you there?
If you've seen the movie "Room 1408" that is a good example of what I described above.
Find more details and items in the profile of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
Andyfer_Ruu

Cash on hand: 2,267.00

Re: Primal Eyes Game Update

Postby Caligo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I like the way he calls it 'Market Research' lol. Well we had fun watching movies and playing games none the less!

Room game sounds good with a bit of plot. I know your time is short so as long as those few things on the sheet are adhered too, then I will be happy :D

What say everyone else?

9 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Caligo

Cash on hand: 195.00
Bank: 1,920.00

Postby Sumanuel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm okay with that :D can't wait to play it.

Just don't make it too hard, right?

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Caligo » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 am

How's things going Andy!? *winkwink*

9 pcs.