Zombies!

Here lives all the topics that don't seem to fit in any other forum. Text games, caption this and all sorts of insane ramblings lie within.

Zombies!

Postby Arcana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Right ladies and gents. Here it is. The thing we geeks and gamers have trained our whole lives for.

It's happened. The world is starting to collapse. The zombie horde is upon us. Civilisation is already starting to break down in a combination of panic and cannibalistic brain-hunger.

There's just us brave happy few. We're currently in my hometown. In fact, you've all come to stay at my house. Approximately 200,000 people live in the Barnsley area. It's a bit...Northern, so it's fairly rural with villages and pockets of suburbia all linked by windy roads and country lanes. Plenty of farmland around, but also some industrial areas, a shopping high street and one of the country's largest cities (not to mention a few other highly urbanised areas). All within a twenty-minute drive.

Many of the motorways and main A-roads have been closed off by the undermanned, overstretched and utterly terrified and disarrayed armed forces who are desperate to maintain some sort of order. The equally-belaguered police are trying to do the same. I just happen to have (for some inexplicable reason known only to me) decided that my loyalties are to myself before Her Majesty, so I have not turned up. Rule of law is basically nonexistent, and it's all the government can do to persuade the USA to not just blast the British population centres out of existence. Many other routes out of town are just about passable, if you don't mind a bit of weaving around abandoned cars. A lot of people are just hunkering down in their homes at the time being. Let's assume 1% of the population is currently infected, though that number is growing exponentially. Scuttlebutt gives the United Kingdom five days before it hits 70% infection. The infection has already left the shores for the Continent and the Americas. Obviously, all air routes have been shut down for safety. The seaports are still open (albeit heavily policed to prevent overcrowding or zombie escapes), but naturally an island inhabited by over sixty million people who are in mass panic trying to leave via b-roads mean that getting to the country's major ports is logically impossible. Portsmouth, Plymouth and Dover are a good five hours' drive away on a good day, using the motorways and A-roads. Liverpool is maybe two or three hours, with Hull being the same.

I live in a 2-bedroom semi-detached house in the middle of an average housing estate in an average village. I own a five-seater car (Honda Civic), with a full tank (good for about 400 miles). I have in my house a selection of general clobber...enough food for maybe three weeks if we were on really tight rations, first-aid kit, etc. I also happen to be wearing my police uniform (which includes, among other things, an upper-body sleeveless stab vest, tough boots, a pair of handcuffs, two velcro limb restraints, a few pairs of rubber gloves, a can of incapacitant spray and a 24-inch friction-lock metal baton). I also possess a Swiss-army style pocket multitool (albeit a very cheap knockoff) and a set of keys to get me into my 'nick', my car, etc. As for you guys, you're wearing whatever you turned up in, and you have whatever changes of clothes and general stuff-you-might-take-to-a-friend's-to-stay-the-weekend. You can feel free to dictate this, but there's gotta be an element of realism here - you wouldn't expect to get a machete through customs...and I'd be a bit surprised at myself if I were to let you through the front door with one :P

Now, for those who don't know, the UK is a country not known for particularly inclement weather. Barnsley is also situated on high ground, and so it is not prone to flooding or, particularly, natural disasters like hurricanes or tornadoes. As such, the house does not possess typical disaster-proofing equipment (screen doors, sandbags, etc). It also does not have a basement or cellar. It has:
A conservatory with a lockable inner door, an open plan living room-dining room-kitchen combo, two bedrooms upstairs, a bathroom, and an attic storage accessible by ladder. There are two falling-down garden sheds in the back garden.

Currently, there is still electricity, though there is nothing of consequence coming over the airways except emergency broadcasts saying to stay in your homes. My police radio is useless for calling for help as all the police are tied up cordoning motorways or barricading things, and the control rooms aren't manned anymore. There's nobody official coming to help.

Ultimate question, and where we're starting from:
What are we going to do, guys?

Now, for the rules:
Realistic - these have to be things we can do. If in doubt, ask how plausible it is! Bear in mind also that the UK is not that liberal with guns, neither are we all (I'm assuming) adept with them. I have fired a real gun once or twice but that said I'm hardly proficient and I wouldn't know where to get one from (I don't know how to get into the firearms unit at work :P )
Zombies - Typical L4D/Resident Evil fare (though none of the special infected types - just the regular horde). They're no faster or stronger than humans, they just don't feel pain. They tend to shamble, not run. None of this superhuman walking underwater stuff either. They're not undead, either - it's a virus.
Me - I'll mostly let myself be guided. I might pose suggestions or give a forked option here and there. I am in my uniform so it might get us past a checkpoint, but I'm not going to go out of my way to be squad leader. In fect, I'm going to go out of my way to not be. :P
RP? - Nah. Post it in a format not unlike I have done. Don't bother with dialogue - we'll assume an accord has been reached through discussion when/where appropriate, and just progress with the plan(s).
"We Must Dissent. Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind."
Find more details and items in the profile of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Arcana

Cash on hand: 125.00
Bank: 3,602.00

Re: Zombies!

Postby Steahl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:38 am

Sadly, customs prevented me from bringing a lot of my usual overnight gear. That means no airsoft or paintball guns, and they looked really hard at my Leatherman tool. I always pack as I'm going to play 'Don't go in the basement' so that means little first aid kit, food (some snacks and some actual nonperishables like jerky and trail rations), though I didn't pack the rope this time. Jeans and t's, a jacket and boots...plenty of hair scrunchies.

Of course, I come to the UK and the world ends. My roommates are going to kill me. No doubt the airports have been shut down, I'm not getting back to Washington state any time soon so...time to settle in. The corner of the second bedroom is MINE. Generally just a place I can curl in a ball and try to sleep through the night.

First concerns though...I need a baseball bat or large stick because, outside a bow or rifle, I'm competition level with a glaive or staff. And beyond that...does anyone here have medications they need on a daily basis? Do we need to go out to get them?

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Cash on hand: 300.00
Bank: 30,470.00

Postby Arcana » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:01 am

For my part, no - we're cool with the meds. Of course I can't speak for everyone else in the team.

As for beating sticks, well I have a snooker cue. About four and a half feet long when assembled. Will that do you? :)
"We Must Dissent. Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Arcana

Postby Steahl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 am

It'll work until I can find something else I guess. A lot shorter than I'm used to working with but WE WILL MANAGE. How's your car? Do we need something heavier? And petrol? I figure we take care of anything we need to stock up on now before the crowds of undead get too bad.

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Postby Arcana » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 am

The car's a Honda, with a brand new VTEC engine in it. And VTEC engines never break down. It has a full tank and seats five. Although God knows what the traffic will be like, with those abandoned cars all over the gaff. As I say, the motorways and arterial A roads are all blocked to contain the spread.

If you have a shopping list, I'm willing to give it a go, and to hell with traffic laws.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Arcana

Postby Steahl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:45 am

Well, I"m not sure how much that will go through if it comes down to ramming things? Guess we'll save the shopping trip until absolutely necessary. I guess we get ready for the death of civilization. For example, let's start storing clean water? And find candles?

Sorry, I"m not good at sitting around and being bored, zombies or no!

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Postby Arcana » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Right-o. We don't have a bath in my house, so we're just plugging sinks and filling those. As well as every saucepan, bowl, cup and container we can lay hands on. The fridge has a few spare shelves so we can shove some of them in there to keep it cool (seeing as the power's still running for the time being).

The car is probably not the best rammer in the world - large maxi-hatchback type feature with all the EU-regulation crumple zones and airbags, etc. Sure, if we were to ram shit we'd survive, but the car might not. Come to think of it though, a guy on the next street owns a Dodge Ram. If a 2-in-1 burglary is necessary I'm sure it shouldn't be difficult to obtain. I've always wanted to drive a monster truck... :P

We do have some candles...scented, tealight, and a few just plain big ones. Also, our kitchen has a hob which runs on natural gas so we'll be able to cook and maintain a small amount of light and heat even if the electricity pops.

Come on everyone else! Don't just leave it to Steahl! :D

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Arcana