Mitochondria Pseudo Science

The film, novel, manga and any other Parasite Eve related medium belonging to the extended universe can be discussed here

Mitochondria Pseudo Science

Postby Caligo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:21 am

Just wondering, for an essay I am planning to write, in peoples opinion/from what you've seen/deduced/learnt in the Parasite Eve Universe how does Aya's Mitochondria work. In Psuedo sciense terms that is. 8-)
Find more details and items in the profile of the user

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
9 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Caligo

Cash on hand: 195.00
Bank: 2,117.00

Re: Mitochondria Pseudo Science

Postby Steahl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 am

...you know I've put a lot of thought into this. Curse you.

Primary
Energy release: The basic premise of Parasite Eve is that the Mitochondria themselves can regulate the energy release of the cell. As the Mitochondria are the manufacturers of most the ATP in cells this is not a far fetched idea. ATP is the basic chemical compound that is broken apart for ready release energy, and the idea that sentient energy factories could bolster or direct the amount of energy is an valid one.

~~ Bad: In the 'bad' or 'rogue' mitochondria the mitochondria's first move was basically to fry the nucleus of the cell, transferring 'control' over to the mitochondria as it were and leaving the nucleus as a mere genetic repository that the mitochondria could draw on when it needed a template for cellular mutation. This resulted in gross physical mutation as the mitochondria adapted the host form for it's needs, generally battle models with additional teeth or elasticity as well as the ability to channel released power into attacks such as fire or electricity. This was, ultimately, damaging to most the host bodies; the extensive mutations were unstable and the energy channeled was often too much, resulting in a melting of the host body once it had been used up.

~~Good: In the 'good' or 'symbiotic' mitochondria cases the first move of the mitochondria was to surround and protect the cell nucleus. This prevented energy fluctuations from causing irreparable damage to the nucleus while still allowing the body to have access to a great deal more power. It is a slower process when the primary concern of the mitochondria must be for the safety of the host which resulted in low levels powers that gradually got stronger as the body adjusted to the higher energy amounts. By placing themselves between the cell membranes and the nucleus of each cell, the mitochondria were only able to implement changes and mutations as ordered by the host body instead of inputting their own changes. In essence, a good mitochondrial being conducts energy along shielded conduits like a true conductor whereas the 'bad' mitochondrials are spitting live wires.

Types
Fire: Heat is easy, energy release is always accompanied by some manner of heat and unregulated energy release results in more. Microbursts of ruptured ATP can easily reach combustion levels. In effect this would be the easiest power to unlock and the easiest to control as long as the resulting heat can be pushed out of the body.

Plasma/Lightning: This is a harsher and harder form of energy but far more devastating than mere fire. This can be achieved by breaking ATP molecules in a timed sequence that simulates an electric pulse. The trick being to create a strong enough pulse that doesn't destroy the nerves it has to travel along to manifest in the outside world. This is easier in 'Bad' mitochondrials because there is no concern for health of the host.

Sonics: This is the ability to release energy through a resonance chamber such as the lungs or throat to result in devastating damage and disorientation in the target. As with other potent attacks, this is found most often in 'Bad' mitochondrials as the use of sonics has a degenerative effect on many delicate internal organs as well as a cumulative stress upon bones within the body.

Regeneration/healing/detox: This is an extreme and directed demonstration of mitochondrial influence. This involves the mitochondria themselves hoarding a portion of energy to perform 'directed repairs' as it were. To send various types white and red blood cells they would have to assume direct control of lymphocytes in the body and give directed chemical signals for fast and lasting repairs. They would also have to supply energy and nutrition to the new cells that had to be budded to seal wounds, naturally this ability is more prominent in 'Good' mitochondrial as opposed to 'Bad' because the mitochondrials are not constantly holding off the natural host body's control.

Resurrection: This cannot be done in a 'bad' mitochondrial being as it requires the mitochondria to focus entirely on repairing instead of controlling. It requires lethal levels of energy and consumes a great many resources from both mitochondria and host body; a body that has been 'resurrected' will experience dizziness, fevers, light headedness and extreme hunger pains until it can rest and eat.

Mutation: This is easier in 'Bad' mitochondrials once more because care of the host body is not a concern. Extreme mutation is caused by mitochondria relaying genetic blueprints to the cells that demand growth and providing the energy to do so. To achieve this in 'Good' mitochondrials is hard upon the body because not only must the mitochondria access and direct growth, but trigger die off and reformation of the original body after the mutation period. Not quite as energy intensive as Resurrection, but close, the mitochondria themselves will be tapped until they can refill their ATP supply; this also reduces the mitochondria's effectiveness in shielding the host nucleus so the host itself may take more damage in the period the mitochondria are exhausted.

Secondary
Unique applications: Nature is, if anything, adaptable, which means that energy can be put to more uses than most can ever imagine. Given a chance to stretch and flex abilities some tendencies may manifest that seem almost side effects or nonsensical upon casual observation. This section list some abilities as have been displayed.

Necrosis: This ability, on first glance, makes no sense as it effects a body beyond the influence of the mitochondria host body. This is actually an adaptation of plasma or electricity abilities that is far more subtle the original attack manifestation. By tempering the ability to a 'low wattage' version information can be transmitted directly to another set of cells or nervous system. Electrical impulses are the main inter-body communication systems, and an outside signal can transmit the order to 'die' or 'self destruct' to other cells. Dead tissue within living tissue is called 'necrotic' and causes poison to the surrounding flesh if not excised.

Scan/Sensitivities: Again this is an ability that ranges beyond the host body and is the flip side to Necrosis. This does not involve transmitting information outside of the body but being attuned enough to 'read' the random transmissions and energy that an outside body is transmitting. Like heartbeats, pulses of energy naturally shiver outward from the body to a degree and an attuned mitochondrial can pick up and translate these waves as information.

Tremor: No body in the course of evolutionary history has ever been able to truly influence stone. It is an immutable object in the face of human desires without the addition of tools or the like...until mitochondrials. They can no more sense the ground than they can breath methane without preparation, but they can cause ripples of energy that resonates through the rigid structures of the earth and stone until the energy output outweighs the ability of the earth to resist. It is a combination of sonic and plasma ability that can be exhausting if used too often.

Electromagnetism: Every body, due to the use of electrical impulses along nervous systems, has a degree of electromagnetic force. Under normal circumstance this is a weak and far from manipulable force, but with the careful addition and fluctuation of electricity ability the body can generate a degree of magnetic force sufficient to manipulate small metallic objects, even at great speeds. This takes a refined and careful use of energy and control; both to sequence pulses properly and to prevent damage, so only 'Good' mitochondrials are able to use this ability to it's full extent.

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Cash on hand: 300.00
Bank: 33,594.00

Postby Sumanuel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, nuff said, this is far one of the best posts I've ever seen. Thank you Caligo and Steahl!

Did anyone wrote or read it while hearing This soundtrack? :P

Steahl wrote:Regeneration/healing/detox: This is an extreme and directed demonstration of mitochondrial influence. This involves the mitochondria themselves hoarding a portion of energy to perform 'directed repairs' as it were. To send various types white and red blood cells they would have to assume direct control of lymphocytes in the body and give directed chemical signals for fast and lasting repairs. They would also have to supply energy and nutrition to the new cells that had to be budded to seal wounds, naturally this ability is more prominent in 'Good' mitochondrial as opposed to 'Bad' because the mitochondrials are not constantly holding off the natural host body's control.

And it includes a little overforcing of the body because the regeneration rate must exceed many times the used one speed. Because of that, the organism may feel a little tired if in an active, moving, state... Or maybe function a bit dizzy because of diferent directed ammounts to other parts of the body?

Steahl wrote:Resurrection: This cannot be done in a 'bad' mitochondrial being as it requires the mitochondria to focus entirely on repairing instead of controlling. It requires lethal levels of energy and consumes a great many resources from both mitochondria and host body; a body that has been 'resurrected' will experience dizziness, fevers, light headedness and extreme hunger pains until it can rest and eat.

Yes, is true. As far as I know, previously to the "death" the body would need a considerable ammount of global energy to maintain every first priority cell alive, (Like Brain, Heart, Liver) even after all other organs seem impossible to function anymore. When the moment arrives, all these energy stored will have to be released, and important ammounts of electric pulses to be redirected to the body, forcing itself to reactivate ASAP.

Barrier: Well, this is preponderant in 'good' mitochondrial. As Steahl said, 'their' priority is to preserve the host. There can be epitelial and superficial cells that are being capacited by mitochondrias and brain impulses, like in survival situations, to radiate or liberate soft ammounts of energy together by all superficial and first impacted areas of body. That dim to rough 'asmotphere' of energy could redirect the magnetic attributes to the host surrounding by a determinate area, with the purpose of absorb or even reflex 'bad' opossite sources of energy that aren't recognized by the body as its own.

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Steahl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm

New I forgot something *facepalm* How could I forget Barrier? Granted, I'm sick and typed that at four in the morning, still!

And no, no soundtrack while I was writing, sadly. ^^

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Postby Sumanuel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Well me neither, but in my mind :lol:

For a tired 4:00AM awake mind, you wrote awesomely :3

1 pcs.
Sumanuel

Cash on hand: 1,514.00

Postby Steahl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am

*bows* I've been poking at mitochondrial psuedo-science for a very long time now....this was just a chance to dump a lot of it in one place. ^^

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Steahl

Postby Caligo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 am

Steahl wrote:...you know I've put a lot of thought into this. Curse you.

Hehe. I know. I is horrible person, but you can't hate me =^_^= < Look at that face. Speaking of not hating me, do you mind if I also use the RNA virus conversation we were having?

Sumanuel wrote:Well, nuff said, this is far one of the best posts I've ever seen. Thank you Caligo and Steahl!

No need to thank me :) Steahl did all the work! And more because I was asking her all kinds of questions in AIM after that. ALL credit goes to her awesomeness. And you for Barrier. That is an great explanation and Kudos for following on!

9 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Caligo

Cash on hand: 195.00
Bank: 2,117.00

Postby Steahl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 am

You are always welcome to use anything we talk about dear! I"m sure there was typos though...so please correct those in post editing >.>

8 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.